Fly Ash Brick
CalStar Products Inc. uses advanced technology to make architectural-facing bricks for the green-building market. Instead of mining virgin clay and firing it, CalStar reclaims fly ash, a byproduct of burning coal, and converts it to a strong, beautiful building material. The products contain 40 percent postindustrial recycled material, use 90 percent less energy to make and generate 90 percent less carbon dioxide than traditional-fired clay bricks. View CalStar’s director of product development discuss sustainability, technology and reinventing the brick.
- Available in modular (3 5/8 by 2 1/4 by 7 5/8 inches) and utility (3 5/8 by 3 5/8 by 11 5/8 inches) sizes.
- Bricks come in seven colors.
- Price competitive with traditional products of equivalent quality.
- ASTM C 618 Class C fly ash, aggregates, mineral-oxide pigments and proprietary ingredients are mixed with water, vibro-compacted and cured into a stable
- cementitious solid.
Approval, Certifications, Patents
- ASTM C216 Grade SW, Severe Weathering, suitable for face brick in severe and freeze-thaw conditions
- ASTM C 216 Type FBX, Dimensional Tolerance
- CSA A82, Fired Masonry Brick Made from Clay or Shale
- ASTM C67, Not Effloresced
CalStar Products Inc.